2013년 3월 17일 일요일

Dokkebi


Dokkebi
I'll introduce Korea Dokkebi in a folktale.

Dokkebi is different from Normal Ghost.
Dokkebi was not formed after a man died.
I heard that this monster was born by object that people are used as a tool of daily life.
In other words,  Old broom,straw shoes,furniture  and etc are turned into Dokkebi at night.
Drizzling rain or drab day and at dusk, Dokkebi wander in the form of fire,
then, many Dokkebi gather together and dance,sing a song.
but this dance and song is terrible, so if you see this action, you must cover eyes and close ears.
Dokkebi is playful. He was deceptive or mocking people.
But If you become familiar with Dokkebi, you can receive treasure.
Dokkebi's properties was dark, So He live in cave or old tree.

There are many different tale about Dokkebi.
for example, Dokkebi has the strength of Hercules, so he put a cow on the roof of a house
or carry dog dung on rice paddy and etc.
Seeing this, Dokkebi is simple.

incidentally, Dokkebi like widow. so he visit widow and live together.
and here is one folktale.
<<widow story>>
once upon a time, a widow lived.
she make love with a certain men.
the men gives money to widow.
but gradually she lose much weight.
someday, a neighbor grandmother inquire of the whole story.
she told her story.
grandmother say "It's Dokkebi! if the men visit you today, ask what him fear."
That night, she ask what him fear, and he answered, "I'm afraid of horse head and horse blood
, are you afraid of what?" "I'm afraid of money."
Next day, widow buy a horse and hang up horse head and sprinkle blood.
Dokkebi run away.
and irritated Dokkebi throw much money her house.
she said "Oh! terrible. I'm scared.
I'm scared.!"
 
 
After a few days,  Dokkebi   realized that he was deceived.                        
so, he scattered gravel on her rice paddy.
she said aloud, "this year, farming will good. if dog dung was scattered my rice paddy,
my farming will not good."
Dokkebi heard this and he scatter dung on her rice paddy.
Widow's laugh is nonstop.
Dokkebi realized that she deceived him again.
irritated Dokkebi shouted the whole village, "Hey people,Do not believe woman said!"


Dokkebi;s apperance varies from country to country. (china, japan and etc.)
Totoro - Dokkebi character of Japan
Dokkebi of Japan


Typical Korea Dokkebi's appearance is as follows: resemble human,
                                                                                  impression tougher,disheveled hair,
                                                                                  a heavy beard and hairy,
                                                                                  herculean strength,stupid
                                                                                  like grain wine,
                                                                                  like rice cake coated with mashed red-beans
                                                                                  like alcohol and meat.
                                                                                  like human.
 
"Korea Dokkebi is like a farmhand.
body is big, and hairy.
smell odor from body
Dokkebi is different from Ghost.
Ghost is evil shape, and scorn human.
but Dokkebi is not.
act like a human, connect human relationship.
Dokkebi has humane qualities."
 

According to circumstances, Dokkebi gives good fortune.
but if you meet Dokkebi in Dokkebi's site, you should ssireum.

because,Dokkebi's ridicule capture you.
thus, we cannot refusal.
During ssireum with Dokkebi, we can't remember reality,
so before we knows, the day passed.
we are exhasuted, and fall in a faint.
To win this ssireum with Dokkebi, we throw down real leg.
because, one leg is fake leg.
but, actually only a wise man can.
playful Dokkebi has nature that want stay with people.
So, Korea's Dokkebi in a folktale is not wicked Monster.

댓글 10개:

  1. Hello Jong Seon. This was so interesting for me! I never heard about Dokkebi before. The story about the Dokkebi and the widow was funny.

    I have a question: what is ssireum? It is fighting?

    답글삭제
    답글
    1. ssireum is korea's folk game.
      korea's notation is 씨름.
      well, ssireum is like wrestling. yeah, it's Korean wrestling.
      you can see ssireum in TV program of Korea's festive days. In the past, ssireum was very popular sports game.
      but these days, ssireum is not popular.
      So, you can see ssireum only festive days in TV programs.

      삭제
  2. I really liked the story about the widow and hope to read more about Korean fabled monsters! :-)

    I did not know that Totoro was considered a Dokkebi. Thank you for teaching me!

    c.k.

    답글삭제
  3. Hello. Jong Seon. I am Yeon Hee. Dokkebi picture doesn’t look so frightening. It looks absurd and even little cute! I like Korea traditional culture. Your blog is unique and amusing. Hum….Dokkebi is afraid of horse head and horse blood. That is very good information. “I'm afraid of money." Wow… She is a so genius! I hope to meet such a Dokkebi once. Maybe it can be dangerous but Dokkebi and I can be a good and special friend. Ha ha. That will be really funny. Anyway, your topic is so meaningful. Through your blog, many people learn about culture!

    답글삭제
  4. Hi Jong seon. I am Bae Yong min. I very very am scared. Because Dokkebi pictures are very very horrible. Your blog topic is so fresh. Surprising! I want to see other monster later.

    답글삭제
  5. Hi jong seon. I'm Ji yeon. I was amazed at your topic. Your topic about Dokkebi is unique. But, I'm interested in Dokkebi after I read your posting. I think that Dokkebi in the picture is little cute..haha:)I'll expect your postng ~Thank you for good information. Bye Bye

    답글삭제
  6. Hi Jong seon. I'm Seungwook. Your topic is so funny! Dokkebi? wow That so intersting. I know Dokkebi legend because my grand mother tell me a long time ago. Dokkebi's face is too scary. But Totoro is very cute. I can't believe Totoro is Dokkebi...:(

    답글삭제
  7. Sounds like you're making the Dokkebi out to sound like a Korean version of a Yokai. My understanding of what a dokkebi is that it's a goblin that has the personality traits of a leprechaun. A trickster goblin to simplify it. My understanding is that when you capture a dokkebi, they often transformed into everyday household items to escape.

    답글삭제
  8. "Dokkebi of Japan" looks like an "Oni" or demon.

    I know Oni in Korean is what girls call their sisters. Haha

    답글삭제
  9. In Indonesia, from the feature explained in here about dokkebi, it is called "gendruwo / gandarwo" . This creature juuuust exactly like dokkebi. Waow...... This creature really roams the asia. Oh my God. Who are they, really ? Yes, they love human, especially the male ones. They love sexual intercourse. The happenings happened many times, especially in Indonesian old stories. Up to recent, this happens in deserted villages of ours.

    Please, trust me, you don't want to see them , Girls! Their body odor is somewhat like raw egg stench that foul and strong, makes you want to puke.

    답글삭제